Saturday, November 12, 2011

Our first work week!

Tuesday we started teaching. We are so happy to be teaching at the same school- JungAng Elementary! Cory is in a place called English Town (one floor above my classroom). English Town is a little different compared to regular school. Monday through Wednesday Cory helps teach students from different schools, that come to our school. It's basically a classroom that only speaks English which gives the students a chance to be immersed in the language. Then on Thursday and Friday he teaches the students in JungAng Elementary all in English. He sees a LOT of students which is hard for him because you can't really build a relationship with them. The PLUS side is everyone that works with him speaks English! That is honestly like a breath a fresh air to be able to communicate with someone in the work place.

I on the other hand, am in a regular classroom. I am the co-teacher for 5th and 6th grade. My co teacher thus far has been preparing all the lessons. She just tells me to do "small talk" in the beginning of class. Which is like, "Hello. How are you? What day is it today? What month? How are you feeling?" Anything else, they don't really understand-yet :). Other than that, she has me read the power points so the students learn how to speak English with the correct accent. It's CRAZY though. Koreans can read and write English very well... but when they hear me speak it, because of my "accent" they don't get it. AND sometimes, my co-teacher doesn't understand so she can not translate. It's quite the challenge to figure it out, but fun and rewarding when they finally understand what you are saying. The good thing is I teach the same lesson 4-5 times a day. I know it can get boring but the day goes by so fast. PLUS, I have my own private office so my teacher lets me go in there a lot to just to hang out, go on facebook, make coffee, eat crackers, and of course plan lessons...haha. It's quite nice. The office has NO heat though so it is very cold. Soon we will  buy me a space heater!

The first week went very well! We love the teachers we work with! It has been a lot of adjusting but always a good experience. We are so ready for the weekend though :)

Walking across The Bridge in the Sky
The teacher picnic we went on our first week! This was their way of welcoming us to Gokseong :)

No comments:

Post a Comment