Wednesday, November 23, 2011

*Highlights of the Week*

We figured out the Bus system! Now this was quite the task. It's so funny living the life of having no idea what you are doing. Cory and I showed up at the bus station and we bought our ticket successfully. But, the whole not being able to read anything else is a whole other story! The best way to figure things out is to keep asking people until someone gives you an answer in English. Cory says I am pretty brave for talking to all these strangers. Well...I guess I am my Father's daughter :) So, we knew we had the right ticket but we did NOT know:

1. Where the bus terminal was
2. What time the bus would be leaving
3. When the last bus came back to our town.

At this point, we needed to figure out 1 and 2 so that's when the questioning began! To our wonderful surprise I recognized a teacher that works at our school AND she speaks English. We just stuck with her and she explained the whole process. We knew how to get to Gwangju... but understanding how to come back home... I guess that was something for Future Cory and Future Michelle to figure out... 

With that being said, I am happy to say that we did make it back! It was not easy and we ended up looking for hotels in case we couldn't understand, but we got on the right bus and were back home shortly! 

Figuring out public transportation in a foreign city- Definitely a highlight!


McDonalds! It's so funny how we crave McDonalds as soon as we know we can not get it. However, we found it in Gwangju! Just a 40 minute bus ride away- haha. For the record, this happened to be the best McDonalds we've ever had. All the wrappers said "made from 100% beef"... not sure if that's true or not but it was mighty tasty!


^ T.V.s as you are riding down the escalators of Homeplus ^

HOMEPLUS!!! We finally found "Walmart"!!!!  

Homeplus- my my my what a breath of fresh air! Imagine living in a town where the closest Walmart or Target is 40 minutes away.... that's our life right now. I know it sounds bad, but you get used to it. It gives us the opportunity to take weekend trips to the city which is a nice break from the routine!
Seriously though- Homeplus... HUGE highlight of the week!

One of the first things the teachers noticed when arriving to the airport in Korea was all the couples matching outfits! Seriously, you will see couples DECKED out in matching EVERYTHING! You will see guys wearing teddy bears and hearts because their girlfriend is wearing it. The new thing now...couples Underwear! hmmm might have to buy some ;) 


Had my first Peppermint Mocha of the year! It was divine!!! Unfortunately, the lady taking my order did not understand the size I wanted and gave me a baby cup. Still it was sooooo good and reminded me of home :)


We visited the department stores which was an adventure in it of itself! Everything was tooo expensive but we had fun taking pictures of course :)

 FOOD!!!! Other than fish :) Yep, we definitely purchased these. In Gwangju, we went on a huge grocery shopping spree. Even though we had to carry 2 heavy boxes on the bus and back home with us...totally worth it!

 Fun in E-Mart. In the cereal aisle they had girls dressed up like "Post cheerleaders??" Well she helped me find the cereal I was looking for :)

Curtains! Yay, our curtains were put in today! I wanted something basic and I think they look great! Our school purchased them for us which is a BONUS! I am happy our apartment is turning into a home :)

No comments:

Post a Comment