Tuesday, September 4, 2012

What Korea has done for our marriage.


Wow! I am just realizing that I haven’t written on our blog since April! I know most people are keeping up with all our adventures via facebook, but just thought I would give a much more detailed update.

As you can imagine, a lot has happened since April. We did decide to sign another contract! We are now staying here until November, 2013. However, I am sure we will sign one more contract to keep us in Korea for a total of 3 years! Thank you to all who are supporting our journey over here.

First off I want to say THANK YOU to everyone for “liking our pictures” and following our adventures. I have had countless people tell me how much we inspire them. Quite a few people say they are 'living their lives vicariously through us.' It’s a great feeling to inspire others with something you love to do. I have been getting many emails about people being interested in coming to Korea as well. I am LOVING that! So, please if you have any questions or are interested – do not be hesitant to ask. I have had close friends to people I haven’t talked to in years ask me about Korea. I love sharing this experience and wish more people would take the leap that my husband and I have.

The best thing Korea has provided for us is a solid foundation in our marriage. Cory and I have never been closer. There’s something about moving what feels like a million miles away from home that causes you to really depend on each other.

I remember the first month we were here – Cory and I got into a little spat. I ended up getting so mad that I left to go to a coffee shop to cool down. Usually, at home I would go to a friend’s house (like all we girls do) and vent! (Sometimes that is not the best option). However, there I go stomping off to the coffee shop. As soon as I arrived, I ordered a coffee and sat there for about 5-10 minutes just going over why I was upset. Then, it HIT me! “I have no one here.” I thought. It was the first time I truly understood that it was just Cory and myself (and all these Koreans) in this small town - out in the boonies no less. Cory was my only friend here, and if I don't have him... I really don't have anyone. Suddenly, I got up from the table and ordered my husband a coffee drink.  I felt like I wanted to rush home and jump into his arms! As I walked in, he greeted me with a smile and just simply asked if I felt better. I apologized for my behavior and gave him his coffee drink which made him so happy. I can’t even remember what our argument was about.

However, that was the first time I realized that communication is key – and more than ever – in our marriage. Since then, we have had a few spats here and there, just like any normal couple, but nothing major. Like I said before, we have never been closer. We tackle obstacles as soon as they arise. We communicate, learn from one another and move on. I can honestly say that Cory and I are best friends. We love each other’s company and truly enjoy doing things together. I am blessed to be his wife. This experience has been a wild ride for the both of us! I love that we can laugh together and try to figure out all the strange and peculiar things of this far away land. I think we will be talking about this experience for the rest of our lives!

As well, this has been a major blessing financially. Korea has provided stability and we are so thankful for that. We are FINALLY starting to make serious payments on our student loans. It has been a little difficult to fully understand how much we can live off and how much to send home. But, we have it figured out. I am so excited that we are starting to pay around $2,000 a month towards student loans, and we are able to live comfortably and travel Korea. What a blessing!

Overall, I love what this is doing in our marriage. We will have endless stories to tell our children and grandchildren someday. Mostly, I am hoping to inspire others to get out of their comfort zone and try something new that could potentially change their lives forever. It changed ours.


 Happy to say we celebrated our one year anniversary on August, 20th. Here's to many more!


1 comment:

  1. I love this post! I met you in Korea. A bunch of us waygooks were taking a bus to one of the rugby tournaments, I think. It was a karaoke bus and I believe you sang "Build Me Up Buttercup." haha I hope this isn't creeping you out :) I miss Korea daily.. glad you're enjoying it too!

    ReplyDelete