Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Redefining My American Dream


When you think of the typical American Dream… what comes to mind? Some of you may often think about graduating college, maybe continuing education with a Master’s degree, getting married, having a pet, buying a house, babies,  and having a steady job from 9-5. In ways, all of that stated is sometimes what we view as “success.” We live in a society that values a strong working ethic. We may have time for fun activities on the weekends, during the summer, once or twice a year… but more often than not, many people push their dreams of travel, seeing the world, getting away from it all… and tack it onto retirement.

By teaching and living abroad, my whole world view of “success” has started to change. I won’t lie, there have been MANY days where I wish I was teaching in an American classroom, living in an American style house, and surrounded by American culture. I wish I was “comfortable.” Sometimes I catch myself looking at pictures of family and friends’ lives (through social media) and want the life they are living. In a way, I feel that my “real life” has not started. I feel like I am living in a fantasy world. My job is fun, relatively easy, my rent is free, I take trips with my husband every weekend, and we've been to over 10 countries together since we've been married… (August 2011) and I think my life hasn't STARTED yet?? Just because it doesn't fit into the typical American Dream?

So… with all that being said, I am trying to redefine what MY American Dream really is. First, it’s not comparing my life to anyone else’s.  Rather, it’s a life full of experiences; chances to share your love, kindness, inspirations, smile, and adventure with those around you; really, just loving people and loving them fully.  I absolutely love learning new things from people around the world. I love experiencing new culture, because I truly believe it’s making me a better person who sees the world and all the colors it offers and gives.

I am reaching my late 20’s (dare I say, 30!) and I figure now is the best time to change my thinking of success all together. If you would've asked me 10 years ago where I think I’d be now… I would probably say married, kids, house, dog, teaching…etc.  Typical Typical – and there’s nothing wrong with that! But, I’m slowly realizing that’s not the life God has intended for me.

I want to focus my life on working to live rather than living to work.

I must admit… My husband and I have been bit by the travel bug and our adventure is far from over. The world is a big place and there are so many places we want to explore. This life in South Korea has been the best thing that’s happened to us. And Guess what?  Kids will come, career will come, and time will pass. For now, it is time for adventure. It’s time to fully embrace escaping the comfort zone that few experience with exploring the unknown.


For me, my new “American Dream” starts today.

My husband and I on one of our many adventures.

1 comment:

  1. Do you need a Loan?
    Are you looking for Finance?
    Are you looking for a Loan to enlarge your business?
    I think you have come to the right place.
    We offer Loans at low interest rate.
    Interested people should please contact us on
    For immediate response to your application, Kindly
    reply to this emails below only:
    arabcreditefirm@gmail.com

    Please, do provide us with the Following information if interested.
    LOAN APPLICATION INFORMATION FORM
    First name:
    Middle name:
    Date of birth (yyyy-mm-dd):
    Gender:
    Marital status:
    Total Amount Needed:
    Time Duration:
    Address:
    City:
    State/province:
    Zip/postal code:
    Country:
    Phone:
    Mobile/cellular:
    Monthly Income:
    Occupation:
    Which sites did you know about us.....
    arabcreditefirm@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete