Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Thoughts for 2015...

Hello everyone. Thank you for checking out my new post on thoughts for the New Year. It’s interesting how New Year’s is one of my favorite holidays. I love to reflect on the past and think of ways I can improve my future. I am always looking for opportunities to challenge and shape myself into a better person.

With that being said, I have a New Year’s resolution. It’s been on my mind for a while now, but I thought this would be the right time to share it with you, so here it is.

“Invest in those that are willing to invest in you.”

This year I want to focus on real relationships. I don’t know about you, but don’t you miss having actual, real, deep, through thick and thin relationships? I know I do. With living overseas, I understand (believe me) that it’s difficult to keep those friendships close. Facebook to me is a blessing and a curse. I think sometimes as we scroll through our friends’ statuses and pictures, we think we’re making a connection with them… when actually the connection is not real at all. How do they know you are thinking of them? How do they know how much you appreciate them? By a ‘like’ on a photo? …a simple comment? To me, it’s just not enough anymore. I want to focus on something deeper. I miss the days of real phone calls, letters in the mail… being who you REALLY are in front of those you love, rather than just showing everyone your highlight reel on social media.  

To clarify, this is not a dis on our beloved, Facebook. It of course is a blessing with making it easy to see updates on friends’ lives and such. Plus, we get to share all of our adventures with you! I do like that part of it all. I’ve just been thinking lately…. That as time goes on; we are losing that authentic realness with people.

In Korea I like to get to the bus or train stop early, and when I look around I see everyone on their cellphones. I am sometimes guilty of this as well. I know this sounds silly, but I like to challenge myself with “waiting” and not needing my cell phone. I mean, I seriously feel like a robot sometimes!!!

Wake up – check cell phone.
Go to bed – check cell phone.
Wait 5 minutes at bus stop- check cell phone.
Boring part in a movie- check cell phone.
The list goes on…

I mean, it’s a little ridiculous don’t you think? So like I said, I like to ‘just wait’, observe my surroundings, take it all in, and be a REAL person! I love to be curious, observe this new culture, look for something I’ve never seen before, think and ponder on my life in a new country. This is the type of person I want to focus on in 2015. I no longer want to be the person that opens their phone and finds themselves comparing their life to others, getting sad, and feeling lonely… It’s ridiculous.


So I know I’m getting a little off topic. But this year I want to invest in people. I want to be real with those around me; I want to go above and beyond to show people how much I appreciate their true friendship, because in reality, we’re all in this crazy thing we call life; together… it’s time we actually start living it… together.   

1 comment:

  1. Love this post! This has been on my mind a lot too lately. So glad we can keep investing in each other's lives, through the magic of Skype, around the world. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete