Monday, December 5, 2011

snapped at for saying "Thank You."

Today was a funny day. I absolutely love Korea, but some things are just so strange. It's funny how in the States I took a lot of things people said to me straight to the heart. But, in Korea...I am beginning to understand how to take things more lightly. It's a good thing :)

For the last 4 days Cory and I have not had hot water or heat in our apartment. It's been 60 degrees in our apartment and our water feels like ice.  For "showering" we have been warming up water with our kettle and taking "sponge baths." -well at least I have ;) It's been quite the experience. That's why we were so happy to visit our friends in Suncheon and stay in a motel for a night. At least we could have a decent shower!

Well, arriving to school on Monday, I told my teacher about the heat problem as soon as I arrived. She and Cory's co-teacher wanted to help us right away. They viewed it as an emergency situation which was very thoughtful of them! So, My teacher ended up calling the "boiler/heater people" to fix it. Cory's teacher took me to the apartment to check out the boiler, then she drove me to buy an electric blanket, THEN she took me to the Kindergarten (Yu-Chi-won) I teach at to discuss lesson planning with the teachers that do not speak English. Of course, all throughout the day I kept saying, "Thank you." I mean they dropped everything to help us! It seriously means so much. Well, after pulling back into the school parking lot, I sincerely told Cory's school teacher, "Thank you SO much, I really appreciate all your help." annnnd she said "Stop saying thank you!!" I was a little taken back at first, but as I know Koreans are VERY blunt, so you have to try not to take it so personally. I told her I was sorry, and then it was like the look-- dont say sorry! Oh man... Soon she explained though that in Korea, saying Thank You is a VERY honorable thing to do, and what she is doing is not honorable but it is simply her job.

I understand, but still how am I going to stop saying thank you!? I can't, and now I am SUPER self-conscious. She said I need to stop because she does not know how to respond. Remember, his teacher is a GEM! She is so sweet. It's just some things sound blunt because of the limited amount of English one may know. I guess it's just kind of awkward for them to keep saying "you're welcome," or "don't mention it."

So, I guess I learned a new lesson that I never thought I would - stop saying thank you...?

No comments:

Post a Comment