Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Cultural Differences - burning calories.

Temperature in school  
One of the rather irritating/confusing aspects of Korea is the temperature in the school. Now, I sometimes can exaggerate but I made sure to ask Cory before posting this. Every morning Cory and I walk to school together. It is so wonderful that we are at the same school! However, you would think that when we reached our school we would be relieved by taking off our scarves, hats, and gloves… think again. One of the things Cory and I just can not wrap our brains around is the temperature in the school. As you walk around the halls, it is 45 degrees! I am not kidding, 45 degrees INSIDE a school building! On top of that, the students like to run around and open all the windows… that have no screens by the way. One of these days, I fear a student falling out of the window! Every day I wear MANY layers! – including my fleece and winter coat. There are times when I see my breath in my office (which is not heated) and times when Cory has come to visit me and my lips are purple! We have talked to the teachers about it and they said the classrooms have their own individual heating but not the hallways. It is due to budgeting, and is found in every school here in Korea. Luckily, I have a space heater in my office now.

Also, since we have to take our shoes off -many students are running around in just socks and get this…barefoot!!! They even run outside like that. This is just so interesting because I remember teaching Kindergarten last year in the States, and if it was a tad cold in the classroom…the students would cry! Therefore, you had to walk into the closet and press an “imaginary button” to “heat” up the room. Differences between cultures are so interesting to me. We are learning so much here!  As far as the frigid school, we are getting used to it… but its still one thing I don’t know if I will ever fully understand.

Hey- at least I am burning calories by shivering so much! ;)  

My new best friend! The Space Heater :)

No comments:

Post a Comment